Friday, May 29, 2015

Plum Headed parakeet- A day for parakeets


Seeing plum headed parakeet both male and female was  an amazing experience. Parakeets in general are very beautiful and their activities and calls have attracted  us so much that they are kept in cage even now.But I feel that watching them free is a great pleasure. I was close to nature from last so many years and had great appreciation for nature and my stay at Shivpuri brought me much much more closer to it. Watching beautiful colourful birds became my pass time or hobby. I started studying about them and now , I will not hesitate in saying that I have fallen in love with this beautiful creation of God. Today morning when I was sitting in my garden a flock of parakeets landed at the top of a tree close to me. I saw grey headed parakeets with yellow beak, They were slightly smaller than the common parakeet. I had seen  male plum headed parakeet in winters and thought the new grey head parakeet to be of different species but on going through book I came to know that it is female of plum headed parakeet. Story does't end here. Their was a small hole in the stem of tree and I saw two female fighting for home. I have recorded that beautiful fight for land.
Our organisation is motivating people to keep food and water for birds and I have kept few pots on floor and  have hanged few of them on various places so that all types of birds could get water easily.
I saw a common parakeet trying to drink water from one of the pots hanging on the branch of. I could see it assessing wether  it will be safe for it to sit on pot. Then s/he decided to sip water without sitting on the pot. It was really interesting to watch its acrobatics. It will not be wrong to say that it was a parakeets day.

Plum Headed Parakeets



plum headed parakeet - Nov 2014 Shivpuri
Add caption







Rose ringed Parakeet trying to drink water from earthen pot hanging on a tree. Intelligent parakeet know that this small pot won't support its weight so it decided to hang upside down to take a sip  in this hpt summer.












No comments:

Post a Comment